Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Business Development

30. Single. Working from home. This sums up who I am and quite frankly, I am not happy with it. Sure I make a living, and yes I have the skills needed to be productive in what I do and yes, I do love my home-based lifestyle, it saves me money from clothes, food and transportation, I do not have to endure the hassles of traffic, commute and all the other stuff that took time, energy and money when I was still working a "normal job". 

I certainly, absolutely love my online career. It has allowed me to build up a network as I am adding something new to my skill set and well, I guess where I'm getting at is executing everything that I have learned and still learning and sharing the knowledge I have that made it possible for me to do that things I do online and making a living.  

Its about building my platform online and eventually a business. 

Yes, I think I have read and skimmed a couple of business books but the thing is we can never really be too sure or too prepared because business is dynamic. Specifically, e-commerce is dynamic. Then again, I have yet to draw up a business plan, neither do I have a mind map or a business model in mind.

In some of the job interviews I have had, I've always been asked why I kept on switching from one job and one industry to another. The answer is simple and constant: I haven't found the one career that will make me stick around for good. In all fairness and honesty, in each of the jobs I had, I always had a hint and a long-term plan. You see, I have made it a point not to start or begin something I have no intention of keeping for good. However, as soon as I see that its not working, it won't work or that it's not what I have in mind. I weigh things and revise my plan.

Right now, I'm what my friend calls a "solopreneur" and my online journey began just 2 years ago. Yes, I am still a neophyte but as I mentioned above, I don't do things without the intention of keeping them for a long time and well, I simply believe that we should grow where we are planted: to do well wherever we are and make meaningful contributions when  we can. And right now, I am looking at the possibility of not just getting all the necessary documents for a worker or business owner - what or however BIR will define me and the kind of work I do. Since we are getting documents to get comply with the legal perspectives, why not make the business a real one as well?

Had a long and interesting conversation with a like-minded person really early today or very late last night and well, it a way, it helped clear a few things up for me. I was able to ponder on things like who do I want to serve, the difference between my would be business and what can be considered as my advocacy. The importance of having a complete mind map can clearly draw lines on which is which and what should be priority one.

Well, I am still looking into the possibilities because the vast and untapped microcosmos of the internet offers that and more. The business has to be something as well thought of as possible not because I can only get one shot at it but because there are a lot of creative minds out there and no, they are not competition. They are a tribe and we have a lot of them. We need to join one to understand the environment, the climate and its problems. We need to know the rules and we need to know the structures and mechanisms already in place in the local cyber landscape. 

Building a tribe and an audience is also another great hurdle. Great but not impossible and in order to do that, we have to get a few websites off the ground. In the old school of selling I was taught to create the need for whatever it is that I was selling. That, and that I also have to earn the right to sell. In today's tribes, the custom is to be generous with help, information and educating not just tribe members but also others and asking permission to offer. Though there are still those that pitches their products and services.

I love my job - the team I am a part of and the things that I am learning with them. I love generating leads and writing pitches and I love writing, period. However, if I am to be of service to anyone, I'd choose to serve fellow Filipinos on how they can benefit by going online and the skills we need to get there. This is just me thinking fast forward and taking all the baby steps to make sure I get to where I want to go standing on my own feet and armed with the right knowledge and connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment