Sunday, July 14, 2013

ABAD Day 6: A Serious Sunday Issues and Opinions

For today, we'll look into what's going on in the home front and catch up. I think this is an important part of our continuing learning, especially since these are things affect both our future and livelihood as well as the lives of our loved ones.

Filipinas, seriously?  


We talked about being sociable last time and well, when I heard it on the radio, I kinda lost it. The debate has been happening in the local social media scene for a few weeks now and my opinion is this, do we even need to do this? We already have an identity. Changing the spelling will not change our global image or economic status. And clearly, if there is no feasible support that it can make a difference in our GDP then why do we have to do it?

Those who support the idea says its historically correct. I respect that but is it legally correct? Not quite, right? That's why we need some legal form to have it corrected. However, how much are we going to expend to meet that end, further how much more to implement it? And in the end, the simple question in this is: what's in it for me? What's in it for all of us?

It think is is unnecessary and counterproductive. We already have an identity as Filipinos, and all our  business and transactions, internal and external relations and all other mechanisms will not be immediately affected by the change we even have to explain it to all the expats and foreigners we encounter.

The funds that will be spent for this might as well be spent on something that will benefit out of school youth or the urban poor or something more immediate and forward looking like disaster preparedness.

Bianca underfire


A tweet posted by celebrity Bianca Gonzales got the support of the vanishing middle class as well as the upper class but caught the ire of bashers and haters who are mostly informal settlers. 

The controversial tweet posted by Bianca Gonzales goes:

"Ang dami nating nagtatrabaho para makaipon para sa prime lot at bahay plus buwis pa. Bakit nga ba bine-baby ang mga informal settlers?

Pro-poor groups also disapproved of the host's opinion considering that she is equally popular because of her advocacies. Bianca spoke against the government's plan to subsidize housing of informal settlers on Metro Manila's waterways just to clear them. The government aims to provide Php 18,000.00 to qualified families.

I have been exposed to this business of informal settlers in my first job and the ways in which the government have been held hostage by professional squatters. Add that to the provisions of the Lina Law, the support from those who claim to be "human rights activists" and politicians jumping in not to help but for the most part woe voters in these areas and we have the perfect recipe for an age old problem.

Some of these people will tell you they came here to find greener pastures some were born in the slums and have known no other way of life. However to support them or finance anything to stop whatever they're doing or not doing, people like me who works hard and long hours are bound to question if not at least raise an eyebrow. There is a big difference between consideration and tolerance. Providing for their housing so that we can get something going is not that much of an achievement at all.

It is neither empowering or sustainable. The government would have to be creative in getting informal settlers out of NCR and would need to look beyond spending money - our tax money to support housing for informal settlers. We have to think long term. Get them out of the city and have them do some productive activities back in the provinces.

I am not against pro-poor sentiment. I know because I am poor but its bluntly not tolerable. Keep in mind the ancient adage,
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  
We understand that these people are really desperate and in need and that they need all the support they can get to get them started but they need to get somewhere because we can't keep supporting them. The country needs money to finance priority projects too. A forward looking solution is not just to get them out but making sure they get transferred somewhere where its practical to live and make a living to get them settled in and on their feet. There has to be a term and certain goals because lets, face it 18,000 pesos per family is a big amount of money considering the number of informal settlers we have in Metro Manila.

Conclusion


I love the Philippines, I think we all do and we love other Filipinos too. Its who we are. I think we can change our names but it will not change who we are. I work at home wearing a tank top and lounge shorts using my LED TV for a monitor for an assembled computer. My name is Beth Vargas. I have been called in many names and worn countless clothes but I have built who I am neither with my name or clothes. Everyday, I build my brand, my identity with the words I say, the decision I make, the projects I take and complete, the work I do. One day I might get married and change my name, however it will not change who I am, at least not entirely. I will still have the same value system and beliefs and principles even if I chose to change my last name. 

Excuse the term, I have had my share of experiences with informal settlers but not everyone of them are helpless, there are some that have more appliances in their shanties that I have here at home, bigger bank accounts and who knows even a bigger house and lot away from the city. Do not be deceived, not all that live in the slums and claim they are a part of the urban poor really are, there are a few professional squatters. Also, do not let your compassion be manipulated. As long as there is no clear set of goals and accountability, we cannot be assured that the promised 18,000/month/family would really go to the appropriate beneficiaries. Marcos had housing projects, Erap did too but how many of these did actually went to the intended recipients and how many to their "affiliates"? 

Unless we become vigilant when it comes to accountability and practical, expressing our opinion on where our government spends our money, we cannot expect our hard-earned money allotted for the burden of taxation goes, we won't be seeing that much progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment